Bucket trucks, sometimes called cherry pickers, are an excellent tool used in many industries. Bucket trucks provide a safe and stable work platform in a variety of situations when used in accordance with specific recommendations from the manufacturers.
It is important to note that all bucket trucks come with specific manufacturer operator manuals for the particular model and type of bucket truck. If the operator manual is not available, the bucket truck should not be used!
Common hazards with bucket trucks include:
- Electrocution from accidental contact with energized wires
- Tip-over hazards from setting up on steep or unstable surfaces and not using supports
- Collisions or struck-against hazards from traffic on roads
- Fall hazards from improper use of the lifts
If bucket trucks are used by employees of your company or organization, then safety meetings to go over reminders for safe operation of bucket trucks are a must! Hold those safety meetings at regular intervals throughout the year and ensure that any employee that is operation a bucket truck has been trained and authorized to do so. Safety precautions to cover during safety meetings include:
- Only trained and authorized operators can use bucket trucks!
- Stand firmly inside the lift and never sit or climb on the edge of the bucket or use boxes or other items to get additional height.
- Look for overhead power lines and electricity lines before and during operation.
- Survey the area, set outriggers or supports if available and use traffic control if necessary.
- Use fall protection every time when working in the bucket!
- Use the right fall protection for the specific type of bucket truck and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
If you are having safety meetings, then you need safety meeting topics. You can spend countless hours writing up your own or searching the internet for 'free' toolbox talks that are outdated and ineffective OR... you can sign up for a subscription to Weeklysafety.com and instantly have access to hundreds of safety topics and toolbox talks for the low monthly subscription price of only $27/month. Click the button below to read more!